Volunteer Program Overview
We want to welcome you and thank you for your interest in joining our team at North Adams Community Schools. All of us here in your public school system appreciate your generous gift of time and attention to help our children learn.
As a volunteer in North Adams Community Schools, your commitment to education offers students an opportunity to have the individual attention critical to their success in school.
Volunteers are a vital part of North Adams Community Schools. School volunteers enhance the quality of our children's educational experiences by:
- Reinforcing skills taught by teachers
- Giving students individual attention
- Helping students develop confidence and acceptance
- Preparing students to be engaged citizens
As an approved volunteer, you will find your experience to be rewarding. You will serve as a role model for our students and they will look up to the examples that you set forth. We are counting on you to be an advocate for our schools by sharing your positive experiences and encouraging others to become involved.
We ask that you serve at the discretion of the local school system and you are expected to operate within the boundaries of our North Adams Community School Board of Education Policies. And, as with most things in life, there is a bit of paperwork to help you begin your experience volunteering with our students and school buildings. Please note that the information we have included below is as much for your safety as it is for the safety of our students.
Thank you again for making the time for our students. We look forward to seeing you in our schools!
North Adams Community Schools is committed to ensuring that your experience volunteering within our buildings and classrooms is a rewarding and enjoyable experience. We are committed to:
- Ensuring that your time is meaningful and well-spent
- You are given clear instructions on how your contributions to classrooms and students can be used
- Informing you if there is a change in schedules/activities that will affect any time you are committing to attend in a building/classroom
- Always treating you with respect and appreciation
- Providing information to ensure you are informed and prepared for your volunteer experience/assignment
We Ask For Your Commitment To Us:
We know that the education of children is enhanced through effective parental and community involvement and positive engagement. It is the goal of the North Adams staff to maximize learning opportunities for all children by creating a mutually respectful environment for students, teachers, parents, community members and volunteers to work in.
To ensure that both parties find this to be a rewarding experience, we have a few guidelines and expectations as well as some information to share with you so that everyone receives the highest level of support through the volunteer process. Please read through the information carefully to ensure that we have answered all of your questions and are meeting your expectations for understanding your role and responsibilities as a volunteer at North Adams Community Schools.
- The principal must be informed of all volunteers working in the building.
- All volunteers must have a background/criminal history check and the report filed with the principal. [Limited background checks are offered free of charge for all individuals interested in volunteering at North Adams Community Schools. Background Checks are to be completed through the NACS Administration Office in order to have any expenses involved waived.]
- All visitors, including volunteers, are asked to sign-in at the office upon entering the school.
- Volunteers have access to the equipment and technology only in the and under the direct supervision of the classroom teacher.
- Volunteers should never:
- contact parents regarding the performance or behavior of students
- establish instructional objectives
- administer or determine student punishment
- assume the responsibility of an entire class
- All volunteers are asked to wear a “volunteer” name badge. This is done to ensure the safety of all students and staff.
- Maintain a current Volunteer Application on file for each school year that you intend to volunteer.